DIY: Bardot Shirt

Injecting some flair into even the simplest of outfits, Bardot tops have long been a staple of my wardrobe, due to their funky fresh look and variety in style. Whether I’m going for a 90’s grungy look, channelling the 70’s boho vibe or embracing the current minimalist trend, there’s a Bardot top out there for every style. One of the most recent off the shoulder looks that has been growing in popularity is the Bardot shirt – a button up shirt with a Bardot neckline – and it truly is the bee’s knees. Perfect for those days that you want to make your street style slightly more chic, Bardot shirts are a snazzy twist on the average button up and the bonus is that they’re easy to make yourself. Whilst I love buying clothes, being the economically challenged gal that I am, making my own is a lot less damaging to my oh-so-fragile bank balance as well as much more satisfying. Although I’m definitely not an expert when it comes to making clothes, I have been making pieces for myself for a few years now and after I made this swanky little red shirt, I just knew I had to do a little tutorial sharing how to make a Bardot shirt - Hope you enjoy! 

You'll need:
- A button up shirt (preferably oversized)
- Scissors
- Elastic
- A sewing machine (although it can be sewn by hand)
- Pins


Cut off the top of the shirt making sure to leave a little space if there’s a breast pocket. Wrap the elastic around your shoulders to measure how much you will need and cut where appropriate. Remember to pull the elastic slightly when measuring so that it doesn’t end up too loose. 


Flip the shirt inside out and fold the top edge over twice so that the raw edge is neatly tucked away. Pin it all in place but make sure that the fold is the same size or slightly larger than the elastic, so that it can shimmy through with ease. 


When you’re happy with how it looks, sew along the bottom of the folded edge, stopping about 1cm from the end to create an entrance for the elastic. Attach a safety pin to the elastic and feed it through the entrance, as it goes through the tube the material should begin to gather.                 


Once it goes all the way through, remove the safety pin and sew either end of the elastic together. Tuck it back in to the tube and sew the area shut. Now you have your own funky little Bardot shirt!



The best thing about making your own Bardot shirt is that you can do whatever you want with it style/cut wise - If you've used a really big shirt then you can wear it as a dress or if like me, you've used a smaller shirt you can tie it at the waist or cut it so it's permanently cropped! I've left mine so that I can untie it and wear it tucked in during the colder months but the opportunities are endless when making your own clothes!

Hope that my tutorial was helpful and thank you for reading,

Pri - Small, Brown & Stylish x

Share:

38 comments

  1. I absolutely love this idea. And I really would love to try something like this out myself.
    You're photos are lovely.
    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's so easy to do, you should definitely give it a go! xx

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing! I've never tried any DIY things before so I've bookmarked this and I'm gonna give it a bash! Your pictures are always stunning! x

    Stephanie / www.stephiebeau.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, please do, it's real easy to make - Would love to see the results! Thanks for reading! x

      Delete
  3. This looks super amazing! I've never really tried any DIYs for clothing so I might have to give this one a try X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh this is super cool! How cool you've been making yourself bits for years, I should try it out! X
    www.sopherina.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SOO cool!! Def need to try this out, you have the best style <3 Im not the best at DIY but this looks so achievable.

    Jess x

    www.AlmostChic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you're too kind! It's fairly straightforward so I'm sure you'd be fine :)

      Delete
  6. This shirt looks amazing and I LOVEEE how you styled it! Great job lovely X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks real cool, and you've made it sound so easy. Seems like a versatile piece too.

    Peace n love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really is, I love clothes that I can wear multiple ways! x

      Delete
  8. I've been wanting a bardot shirt like this for sooo long! Definitley going to give this a go it looks so cool!
    https://midnightandlace.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's definitely one of my favourite DIY projects! x

      Delete
  9. Your instructions make this look so easy! I'm definitely going to give this a go. Please do some more DIY posts ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow such a great DIY! looks like fun too. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous, such a great idea! x

    Emma | earthtoemma.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing! I've never even thought to make my own bardot top but I'm feeling inspired now! Also that red really compliments your skin tone, so beautiful x

    http://howlindycsit.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thank you, that's so sweet! It's so easy to make, you should definitely give it a go x

      Delete
  13. This is such a gorgeous and on trend DIY!

    I know what I am going to be doing tomorrow!

    Lovely blogpost xx
    Francesca xx
    http://bellamomento.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely love this! Very trendy

    -www.kimberleyjessica.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely loved how you styled it and the off the shoulders look! Great job, I love how it looks. xx

    Sofia | www.theglamchapter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm a big fan of the whole bardot look! x

      Delete
  16. That looks absolutely fab, perfect for the slightly warmer autumn days like we're having now! I wish I could sew, because I would definitely give this a go!

    Teri-May xx
    http://acupoft.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, definitely I've been wearing them lots recently, perfect weather for it! x

      Delete
  17. gah you are just the coolest! <3 fab DIY x
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a fantastic idea! I'm a huge fan of bardot tops and I love shirts but they've never really suited me; here's my solution! Thank you for sharing

    Pandora xo
    http://curiouslilpandora.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute! I love this! X

    www.amystardust.co.uk

    ReplyDelete